Bob Rice

An internationally famous speaker, musician, and writer, Bob Rice looks at the beautiful and the bizarre of life through a Catholic perspective. Also includes articles and excerpts from books he's working on.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Steubenville, Ohio, United States

My desire is to share the love of God to everyone I meet through the many gifts God has given me. My full time job is teaching evangelization and youth ministry at Franciscan University of Steubenville, OH. About two or three times a week I travel around the country proclaiming God's word or do a concert/lead worship. I've published many articles and I'm working on my first novel. 12 years ago, I married the love of my life and now we have 5 beautiful children. You can find out more about me and download lots of free stuff on my webpage- http://bob-rice.com

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Tom Booth vs. Bob Rice


As I mentioned in my last post, it seems Tom Booth has gotten the "best of" me by releasing his "best of" album before mine. I thank you for the email condolences. One of you was bold enough to ask the question on everyone's mind: Which "best of" is the best? The answer, of course, is mine- but I'd hate you to think that I'm biased. So I have asked some basic and fair questions that compare the two CDs. You can be the judge of who is the winner (hint: it's me). So ask yourself these questions:

WHICH "BEST OF" ALBUM HAS MORE HITS? Well, that depends on what your definition of "hits" is. If by "hits" you mean extremely popular songs that have garnished awards and been sung internationally, then I guess that would go to Tom Booth. But on the other hand, if you embrace a more general definition of "hits", meaning a song that some people like, then I would say we are even. Wait, I just realized that Tom has 17 songs on his CD and I only have 15. Alright, I guess he wins that one. But only by two songs!

WHICH "BEST OF" ALBUM IS CHEAPER? The answer: mine by 2 bucks. That's right, friends. My CD will be only $15, while Tom's is an extravagant $17. Though mathematically, we're each charging a buck a song, so I guess that evens out. We'll call that one a tie.

WHICH "BEST OF" ALBUM HAS MORE LYRICS ON IT? You might think Booth has the edge on this one because he has more songs. But the Cinderella story here is that I win in this category. That's right, with my music you get more words per song than Tom Booth, and we all know that the more words that are used, the more knowledge you get, and the holier you become. He's got one song on there that has, like, 10 words max. What is this, Taize?

WHICH "BEST OF" ARTIST SINGS HIGHER? Hands down, that would be me. All you pre-pubescent boys can sing along with ease.

WHICH "BEST OF" ALBUM HAS MORE STEUBENVILLE THEME SONGS? Do you have to even ask? My CD boasts TWICE as many has his. (He has one on there, while I have two.) Now, I could have dusted him on this category by including 5 other theme songs I've written, but I didn't want to hear about deaths caused by stampedes to the Catholic book stores of the world when my CD was released. So I pulled back a bit on that one.

WHICH "BEST OF" ALBUM WAS RECORDED AT A COOLER PLACE? Some of Tom's music was recorded at Abbey Road Studios in England, where the Beatles recorded. That would have been great if he was making an LP in the 60's. My CD was made in beautiful Steubenville, OH- a.k.a. the "Catholic Nashville". The mental institution next door and crack dealers down the street only added to the ambience.

So which "best of" album is better? I'll let you decide, but I think the evidence speaks for itself. Still, maybe you should purchase Tom's CD, if only out of pity (and if you want a really killer CD to listen to). Click on the title of this blog for a link to do that. As for my new CD, it will be available at the end of this month, and pre-orders will be available soon. Also, check out bobricemusic.com, 'cause I've got some new updates. And congradulations to Karsten for getting my age right- I'm a tender 34 years old.

15 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

Wait so if you're 34 what was that thing about being in your 40s about?

8:51 AM  
Blogger bobrice said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:31 AM  
Blogger bobrice said...

It was a red herring- a false clue to mislead you. Sorry!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Ohhhh. I didn't know what a red herring was. I mean the expression. I know what the bird is. Well 34 makes much more sense than any number in the 40s. Woot. : )

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom booth or Bob Rice? Well, hands down you! Who sings praise and worship so joyously AND wears the star wars belt buckle at the same time in Corpus Christi?! Thank you!

You'll have to come back during the hot weather. Out of 365 days out of the year, only 10 are as cold as it is now.

Prayers for you and your family!!!! You are now a permanant person on my prayer list! =)

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam!!

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Bob thanks for those inspiring words at our corpus christi TX retreat Thanks and may god give you more wisdom to continue this ministry. i enjoyed listening to your Praise and Worship music on saturday and sunday. you make a handsome cowboy
Sister In Christ
olga arredondo
thank you for leaving footprints in my life

8:14 PM  
Blogger John Lopez said...

you know after reading your post I have to say, "I am all about Bob Rice's best of CD". I am pro Bob best of the best because (1) You are the best at watching sports and (2) you make some radical wood derby cars and (3) you have a cooler beard then Tom Booth.

There i said it, I AM PRO BOB RICE. I FEEL SO LIBERATED AND FULL OF FREEDOM NOW BECASUE I HAVE SHARED THE TRUTH TO THE ENTIRE BLOGGER BLOG COMMUNITY. I AM PRO BOB RICE. FREEDOM! FREEDOM! LET THE BEST OF THE BEST BOB RICE CD REVOLUTION BEGIN. RISE UP ALL CATHOLIC BOOK STORE STAMPEADERS! RISE I SAID, RISE.......

sorry, ok, let me sit back down now. man those pinto beans really got me this time.....

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course you win!! You have more facial hair, small woodland creatures love you and (of course) you know all that is Star Wars! Also, cause you have more friends. At least if you check www.myspace.com/tombooth ..that guy only has 9 friends. So you win!!

Looking forward to the "Best Of" and of course seeing you again soon. Cheers!!

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey wait.....
i thought a herring was a fish....
why are you playing with red fish?...
is it a bird?
a bird fish?
or is that a herron?
i'm so confused.....

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bob,
Great site--of course, you'll have to be careful now... your in-laws have found you! Have you and Tom Booth had a humility contest, like "I'm more humble than you?" :)
Enjoy 40, or 34, or whatever... ah! to be young again.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're not 34 liar.

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was one of the funniest things i have read in a while. i am laughing!

jonathan alexander

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Tom Booth vs. Bob Rice" - OK, so the word got out, I simply wanted a CD that might inspire others to pray and I got a fight on my hands. Yeah, YOU Rice-boy!You know who you are! All right, you and me, 12 Noon - In CHURCH! No CDs, no theme songs, no Abbey Road memories! Just you and me and our beads. You can run, but you can't hide! Lenten showdown at the "I'm O.K., You're O.K., O.K. Chorale" Just you and me buddy! Out of the Jungle, Choosing Christ and Beholding the Lamb! For those who can witness this, it will be a "Taste of Heaven". Brother to Brother, friend to friend... and btw, I can't wait for YOUR "Best Of" CD to be released. :) TB

3:31 AM  
Blogger bobrice said...

I love you Tom. You're the best!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Kim & Bob Hofeldt said...

oh cute, a duel ... will it morph into a duet?

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home