Bob Rice

An internationally famous speaker, musician, and writer, Bob Rice looks at the beautiful and the bizarre of life through a Catholic perspective. Also includes articles and excerpts from books he's working on.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Steubenville, Ohio, United States

My desire is to share the love of God to everyone I meet through the many gifts God has given me. My full time job is teaching evangelization and youth ministry at Franciscan University of Steubenville, OH. About two or three times a week I travel around the country proclaiming God's word or do a concert/lead worship. I've published many articles and I'm working on my first novel. 12 years ago, I married the love of my life and now we have 5 beautiful children. You can find out more about me and download lots of free stuff on my webpage- http://bob-rice.com

Monday, August 07, 2006

Richard Simek, eat my dust

I know I haven't had a post in a few weeks, but I've been busy...

...training for a TRIATHLON!

Which I did this past Sunday in the 23rd New London Hospital Day Triathlon in New Hampshire. That's right, folks. I wen't from being a non-athlete to I tri-athlete. I skipped right over being an athlete and a bi-athlete to go right to tri. Pictures don't lie, folks. And I did the whole thing in a Bert and Ernie cycling jersey.

My sister did it with me, and I'm really glad she did. She's run marathons and done triathlons before, so this was no big for her. She was such an encouragement to me. Thanks, sis! You're the best!

I've never done a race like that, or anything really athletic before, so it was a pretty cool experience. For the most part, I just wanted to survive it. I only decided to do it a week or so ago, so I didn't get a lot of time. I did REALLLY good, except I struggled a bit on the swimming part. And the running part. The cycling could have been stronger, too.

Those of you used to racing know this, but they gave me a chip that I attached to my ankle that kept my time for each leg of the race. It was a 1/4 mile swim, 6 mile bike, and 3 mile run. Then you can go online and see how you did compared to other racers. Amazing.

You're probably asking yourself, "I wonder how Bob did?" Well- the important thing is that I finished. I wasn't trying to get a great time, I just wanted to make it through the event.

But if you must know, I did beat a guy named Richard Simek. IN YOUR FACE, RICHARD! HOW'S IT FEEL TO COME IN DEAD LAST??? (By the way- thank God for you, Richard, so that I didn't come in dead last. He actually didn't finish the race, I hope he is okay.)

I also placed ahead of some "team racers" which mean they have three people running a different part of the race. That means they have no transition times and have fresh legs each part of the tri, so I felt it was a real accomplishment to place before those athletic animals. Some of the teams I beat were: "The Fat Farm", and the "Quicker Quads".

I feel like such a man. You can get more info about the race at my sisters blog. I'm an idiot with this blog stuff, but cut and paste the following link to get there. http://kimannerice.blogspot.com/2006/08/new-london-triathlon-race-report.html

My kids ran in a race, too. They got cool ribbons. The whole event was tons of fun. It was a great day.



The conferences ended strong with the Defending the Faith conference. I'm off this weekend to MA for the Proud 2 B Catholic concert, which I am really excited about. God bless you!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I'm impressed, brother! Looking forward to jamming this weekend in Mass(achusettes)!

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bobby... are you EVER going to update this thing?? Seriousley, the Richard Simek thing is getting old...
Glad to hear that you atleast didn't finish last.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home