Bob Rice

An internationally famous speaker, musician, and writer, Bob Rice looks at the beautiful and the bizarre of life through a Catholic perspective. Also includes articles and excerpts from books he's working on.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Steubenville, Ohio, United States

My desire is to share the love of God to everyone I meet through the many gifts God has given me. My full time job is teaching evangelization and youth ministry at Franciscan University of Steubenville, OH. About two or three times a week I travel around the country proclaiming God's word or do a concert/lead worship. I've published many articles and I'm working on my first novel. 12 years ago, I married the love of my life and now we have 5 beautiful children. You can find out more about me and download lots of free stuff on my webpage- http://bob-rice.com

Monday, July 10, 2006

Tropical Islands


This is German. No, he's not from Germany. I think it's like "Herman". Anyway, he's one of the many incredible people I've had the chance to meet over the past two weeks.

I have travelled more the past week than I have over the past few months, I think. On June 28th, for our 9th anniversary Jennie and I travelled to Aruba- just me and her. Her mom watched our kids and we got to take a 2nd honeymoon. It was awesome to spend that much time with her.

And what about Aruba? Jennie really liked it. I thought it was just like Florida, except farther away. Actually, it was kind of strange- everybody spoke English, everyone accepted US currency, our cell phones even worked. Kind of odd- I was expecting a more "foreign" experience. One serious downside- there is no comic book store on the island. At all. Really. I checked. Most of them didn't even know what they were.

But Jennie liked it, and that was the most important thing. Me, I didn't care where we went as long as I got to spend time with her.

So we flew out on Wednesday and got back on Sunday. We were really missing our kids by then, so that was long enough of a trip. The flight home was long- hit some delays and missed a flight. It was a bummer, because all we wanted to do was to get home and kiss our children.

Then on Tuesday, I was on a plane again- this time to another tropical island. I went to the island of San Pedro in Belize to help out some missionaries there who were connected with Franciscan University. That was a fantastic experience. I met lots of Belizans (like German, who plays in a Christian Band called "Faith Factor"), as well as many others. It was definately a Holy Spirit thing: I got to talk to a bunch of fishermen about St. Peter on San Pedro a few days after the feast of Peter and Paul. It went great.

It was also a quick trip. By Thursday I was back on a plane to come to the US. I slept a lot, and then on Friday lead worship at the third High School Youth Conference for over 2,200 people. Hello to all who were there! Bob Lesnefsky hosted (a.k.a. Righteous B) and it was an amazing weekend.

So now I'm sitting at home and spending time with my kids. We have a lot of video games to catch up with. I think I've had enough tropical islands for a while... Steubenville suits me just fine right now.

But I am thinking about doing more missionary work, especially to Aruba. To think- these people have no comic books. Will you help me raise money for them? How will they learn that "with great power comes great responsibility" if they can't read about SpiderMan?

So just start sending me cash, and I'll buy more comic books and send them to Aruba (after I've read them for content, of course). Remember- only you can make a difference.

6 Comments:

Blogger ancient clown said...

An invitation to visit and learn more on how to Planting the Seeds.
"To give a person a tree is to give them a present...But to teach them how to make a tree is to give them a gift for life."
your humble servant,
Ancient Clown

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bobby... Bobby... Bobby... what am I ever going to do with you... sending comic books to Aruba... well that certainly is strange. You're the second person I know of to come back from Aruba this week...
-The Doctor

6:24 AM  
Blogger John Lopez said...

German is the man! I agree with Doc.

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you John
-The Doctor

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd drop you a note to say 1) The AYM class you taught at Bosco was phenomenal and 2) That article comes out in the post today and you were quoted http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/05/AR2006080500705.html?sub=AR
I wasn't, but oh well. Glad I could point her in your direction!

Anyways, see you at our youth ministers kick off at the end of the month.

Peace,
Christine from VA

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, I was actually talking about Abbasangel35! AKA Cindy Scheiner, lol.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home