Bob Rice

An internationally famous speaker, musician, and writer, Bob Rice looks at the beautiful and the bizarre of life through a Catholic perspective. Also includes articles and excerpts from books he's working on.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Steubenville, Ohio, United States

My desire is to share the love of God to everyone I meet through the many gifts God has given me. My full time job is teaching evangelization and youth ministry at Franciscan University of Steubenville, OH. About two or three times a week I travel around the country proclaiming God's word or do a concert/lead worship. I've published many articles and I'm working on my first novel. 12 years ago, I married the love of my life and now we have 5 beautiful children. You can find out more about me and download lots of free stuff on my webpage- http://bob-rice.com

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Renaissance Fair


As time goes on, I feel like I'm doing more and more stuff that Weird Al talks about on the "White and Nerdy" song.

Was a Champion in D&D? Check.

MC Esher is my favorite MC? Check.

All of my action figures are cherry? Check.

X-men comics, you know I collect them? Check.

My ergonomic keyboard never leaves me bored? Check.

Memorized The Holy Grail? Mostly.

Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard? Double check.

Spent my weekend at the renaissance fair? As of this weekend, check.

To be fair (or fare), I was invited by James and Kate Pauley, some friends of mine from FUS. We looked on line, and it seemed to be a fun thing to do as a family. It was a beautiful day, and we had a good time.

Until the end. They had a jousting thing that was pretty exciting. It was an evil french knight who fought the good Christian english knight. The french knight taunted the english knight, saying he depended too much on faith and goodness and that weakness would kill him. The English knight responded that he did depend on faith and faith would save him.

A battle ensued, and the English knight won, but was willing to spare the French guy. Then the French guy cheated, knocked him down, and slit his throat with blood spurting out!!! I couldn't believe it. My children were stunned. Ellie kept saying, "He cheated! He cheated!" It looked convincing, they even carried him out on a stretcher. I had to convince them it was fake. Needless to say, it was a downer of an ending and probably the last renaissance fair we'll go to.

But other than the oddly tatooed folks, excessive violence, and "evil beating good" vibe, it was a pretty fun day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home